- All children under the age of 8 must be accompanied in the water by a responsible person of 16 years or over. This person may be responsible for a maximum of two children under the age of 8.
- We recommend that children under the age of 4 should ideally be accompanied on a 1:1 basis
- The accompanying person must maintain a constant watch over the children for whom they are responsible and be in close contact with those of the children who are weak or non-swimmers.
- The accompanying person must ensure that all under 8’s who are weak or non-swimmers remain in the Leisure pool or the shallow end of the Training (main) pool.
- We recommend that the under 8’s and non-swimmers wear approved swimming aids.
In order to assist poolside staff, assessing safe swimming ability, a swim test is required for any child under the age of 16 using the Training pool deep end who the lifeguard identifies as a weak or non-swimmer.
The following test criteria can be completed in any order:
- Swim 50 metres (to the satisfaction of the lifeguard)
- Tread water for 1 minute
- Be able to either: submerge head / mushroom float / surface dive
If the child cannot do the above they must remain in the shallow end of the Training (main) pool.
The test is to keep all swimmers safe during their swim and is not designed to spoil anybody’s fun!
Please ask a member of staff if you have any questions.
For further information please click here to download the document from CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)